1. Fruit with cottage cheese: ½ cup cottage cheese topped with ½ cup of mixed berries, melons, banana slices, unsalted nuts and or seeds that are your favorites!
2. Mixed Nuts or Trail Mix: Mixed unsalted nuts such as almonds, walnuts and pistachios. Eating nuts helps your heart.
3. Hard-Boiled Egg: High in protein, iron, B vitamins, and minerals, including folate.
4. Bread-less Rollup: Top 2 slices of low-sodium deli meat (turkey, chicken) with 1 slice of low-fat cheese; add a slice of tomato, cucumber or some lettuce to spike the nutritional value!
5. Nut Butter Rows: Try dressing carrots, celery sticks, sliced apples or dried apricots and dates (remove the seed inside) with your favorite nut butters (Unsalted crunchy almond butter and walnut butter are my favs) You can place fresh blueberries on top of the nut butter for added nutrition benefits and deliciousness!
6. Bean-and-Cheese Minis: Take 1/4-1/2 cup canned rinsed and drained black beans add diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro and a slice of cheese on a Tortilla cook on a nonstick pan until the cheese has melted. Enjoy!
7. Shake It: Blend 1 banana and your favorite berries with 1 tablespoon of nut butter of your choice and 1 cup of low-fat chocolate milk or soymilk, add 1 cup of ice.
8. Simply Edamame: Just one cup of edamame has 17 grams of protein and loaded with Magnesium and other key vitamins and minerals. Buy them fresh and steam for about 6 minutes, or use the pre-cooked frozen variety and briefly microwave to defrost (about 2 minutes).
9. Lay-down your Hummus: Put 2 tablespoons of your favorite hummus in the bottom of the container. Stick a handful of vegetable sticks (carrots, celery, and snow peas are a great mix!) on top.
10. Fancy Platter: Make a mini cheese plate with your favorite cheese sticks, whole grain crackers and a handful of unsalted nuts and or berries.
11. Nutty Banana: Take a whole peeled banana, cut it in half, spread your favorite unsalted nut butter on each half, line it with some blueberries or sprinkle with cinnamon for added health benefits!
12. Greek Style: Grab a container of low-fat or non-fat unsweetened Greek yogurt, top with ½ cup of fresh berries and chopped unsalted nuts of your choice! For added yumminess add some Granola.
13. Grape and Cheese Kabobs: Take your favorite cheese, cut into cubes, rinse some grapes. Stack them on toothpicks, portable and delicious!
14. Almondilla: This creation is a twist on a quesadilla. Take a Sprouted Ancient Grains, tortilla smear with your favorite unsalted nut butter, (almond butter is my favorite hence the name) layer with sliced bananas. Fold the tortilla in half like you would with a quesadilla. Place on a non-stick pan to get the sides slightly toasted. Enjoy the ooey gooey deliciousness!
15. Overnight or Same Day Oats: This is my favorite power breakfast, or snack. It is packed with Nutrient Dense Foods. Here is a pictorial step-by-step process. Take a jar; I reused my almond butter jar from Trader Joe’s. Add uncooked rolled oats (not instant)
Now sprinkle some Sesame Seeds.
Sprinkle some delicious granola, or any store bought granola would work as well.
Add some walnuts, loaded with heart healthy nutrients.
Add a tablespoon or two of your favorite unsalted crunchy nut butter. I use Trader Joe’s Almond Butter. Rich, creamy and delicious!
Finally add your favorite low fat milk or dairy alternative. You can also add fresh berries. Place in the fridge until you are ready to consume. When you are ready for a power pick me up, stir all the ingredients in the jar and enjoy!